Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Golden Compass, the first time...

After listening in class to Taylor talk about how upset she was when reading the ending, I thought that I would share the first time I read the first book, The Golden Compass. It was a present from my friend Terri last Christmas, and I was so excited to start reading it. I read mostly at night in bed, with my cat Tigger sitting on my chest, in front of the book, her usual spot. When I came to the first place where the Gobblers tried to separate Lyra and Pan I couldn't stop crying. It upset me so much that I had to stop reading and just pet Tigger for quite awhile. I felt so silly, because when I told my mom this the next day, her reply was "You know it's just a book, right?" But it wasn't to me, it seemed so real, and at that moment I felt so connected to my cat that it was unreal. I never really shared this with many people because I tend to get really upset in books and movies whenever an animal is in danger. I have always been sympathetic to their troubles and trials, but not only is Pan an animal, he is Lyra's soul. This connection touched me so deeply that even in the movie, which was one of the worst portrayals of a book that I have ever seen, it still affected me. Luckily I went with my best friend who has known me most of my life, and is used to my crying. I wonder though if there is something to this drastic reaction? Am I just sensitive, or is there something to be said for a close connection to animals, or more specifically to my cat Tigger?

No comments: