Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bridge to Terabithia

Speaking of children's books being made into movies, Bridge to Terabithia is a wonderful book that they made into a movie a few years ago. Wiki describes the plot as:

Bridge to Terabithia is the story of fifth grader Jesse Aarons, who befriends his new neighbor Leslie Burke when he loses a footrace to her at school. Leslie is a smart, talented, outgoing tomboy. Jesse thinks highly of her. Jesse is an artistic boy who, in the beginning of the novel, is fearful, angry, and depressed. After meeting, and then ultimately losing Leslie, Jesse is transformed. He becomes courageous and lets go of his anger and frustration.

This lengthy explanation seemed to sum it up better than my dramatic and emotional prose. At community college I had to read this for an online children's lit class, and I was heartbroken at the end. So heartbroken in fact that when we had to discuss it in the online conversations I couldn't stop crying. I think the aspect that stood out most to me, besides their amazing friendship, is their imagination. They create an entire land completely in their minds, and the movie did an amazing job bringing that to life. Although the movies wasn't exactly like the book it is one of the few movie adaptions that I actually enjoyed watching.

No comments: