Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Favorite Fairy Tale

My favorite fairy tale would have to be Donkeyskin by Charles Perrault. Although the beginning is horrifying because of an almost case of incest, it redeems itself in the end. I have always loved to imagine her dresses at the end, one the color of the sky, one the color of the moon, and one more splendid than the star of night. They are of unimaginable beauty especially to a young me. To imagine the color is not the hard part, but to imagine making fabric that color is intense. I do so enjoy the stark irony too that the dresses that the godmother suggests to spare herself from her father are the same that in the end help her get her man. I also loved that she was a great baker, because although I cannot cook at all, I love to eat.

No comments: