Monday, October 27, 2008

My book and heart review

When I first left the theater after viewing this movie, I must admit that I was disappointed. I didn't feel like I learned anything at all, and I was frustrated by the fact that we had already discussed all of the main points. What I didn't realize, until after we discussed it is class, was that there was not fault in the movie, but within myself. I was blinded by my aforementioned feelings and didn't take the time to realize how great the film really was. Although we had learned the information, the presentation of it was much different. Through narration, pictures, and props, the creators got their point across in a way that was fascinating and visually stimulating. This film was funny, serious and educational all at the same time, which is rare. The beauty of the words and pictures helped to show the viewers not only the importance of the little forgotten books, but the importance of reading. When you read you are taken to a magical place all your own, for no two people read the same story the same. The first book that I remember reading over and over again is 'Quest For a Maid' by Frances Mary Hendry. It's about a little girl named Meg, whose sister Inge is a witch. One dark and stormy night she sneaks into her sister's store-room and watches her kill a king with her powers. Inge leaves the next day to become a lady in waiting, and Meg struggles with all that she had seen and heard. The tale is exciting, beautifully written and sad but it has and always will be my favorite. Even now, 15 years later, I still read it every year. I have given tons as gifts and still talk about it to anyone who will listen. The film reminded me of how truly magical it is to read your favorite book for the first time. No matter how many times you read it, inspite of all the new information that you get from it each time, you can never have that first time back. It reminded me to treasure books because you never know when you will read your next favorite book for the first time.

No comments: